Thursday, December 31, 2009

Day 69

New Year's Eve.

I almost didn't have any plans until a friend of mine invited me to a party full of improvisers last night. 

Actually, last night a I had a rather touching experience with a street-wise vendor on the way to the redline to work my iO shift.  It was snowing and cold, and he was walking next to me as I headed out of the bar a bunch of us had stopped into after work for a few quick pitchers of PBR.

"How you doin', Miss?" he asked, still walking briskly and looking straight ahead---as if on a mission.

"Pretty good.  And yourself?"

"Good, good.  On my way to Starbucks.  I'm a Streetwise vendor.  Gonna stay there til about 8 o'clock."  He said it with such pride, "Streetwise vendor" -- the same way one might say, "I'm an astronaut; I'm the VP of a Fortune 500 company; I'm the President of the United States."  I respected that.  He went on to tell me that on New Year's Eve, he'd be vending Streetwise for about 12 straight hours (in the cold, no less, I thought to myself), and then head home to put on a new suit he'd bought at the thrift store to ring in 2010 with his lady at Navy Pier.

Why Navy Pier?

"It's free," he stated.  "And I should have a little money from the Streetwise.  But if not, I'll be bringing a few papers, just in case we run into trouble."

I got to the North and Clyborn station, and we parted ways, wishing each other a Happy New Year.  He walked away very much looking forward to his new suit, his lady, and whatever good things 2010 would hopefully bring for him...

...and I did too.

Anyhow, that was technically yesterday.  Today I went to a party with a bunch of fellow improvisers.  Some I knew well, some I knew because I've seen them play a lot, and some I didn't know at all.  It was absolutely a fun time.  I ended up downing a whole bottle of Oliver Soft Red by myself.  Took a shot of this bitter orange stuff that didn't taste bad going down, but left an aftertaste reminiscent of chewing for hours on an Orange Glow cleansing wipe. 

I had planned to get into my deep introspection that occurred just after midnight, when I made some important (READ: drunk) realizations about my life.  But you know what?  It's a new year.  There's no need to worry about things I can't control...and writing about the things I can control...well, might as well use that energy to actually control them, right?

I will leave you with this:  It was the first New Year's Eve that I didn't have anyone to kiss at midnight...in 13 years.  Bittersweet really. 

Anyhow, here are a bunch of improvisers just after midnight:



















Happy 2010!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment