Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Day 61

I went into work today, only to be told to go home and rest.  Which I promptly did.

Later on, I texted my friend Eric to see if he maybe wanted to grab food, catch a movie, something other than just lying around for the rest of the evening.

We had a nice (no-grease for me) meal, and then stopped by a Borders just to look around.  I have a love affair with books.  When I'm surrounded by them, I just feel this odd peace.  I don't know.  I mean, I guess I'm just imagining the millions and millions of stories, and worlds, and characters, and life experiences that surround me...contained in all those pages.  It's kind of magical. 

And then...you run into something like this:
























A large poster book with pictures of animals that utilized the same silly googly eyes on every page.  Often hilarious and sometimes scary, and...as this picture shows...a little confusing. 

If you can't read it because of the glare, beneath this googly-eyed gorilla (who is obviously outside, mind you...) are two simple math problems: 5 x 5 = 25 and 5 x 6 = ???

Now, I don't know about you, but I don't get what this is trying to say.  I don't expect a gorilla to know simple math.  And I don't see the hilarity in not knowing 5 x 6 but knowing 5 x 5. 

You should also know that the second to last page included a rather frazzled chimapanzee with the caption "What math test?!"

It's actually all sort of brilliant if you think about it, really.  Eric and I laughed about it as we walked around the rest of the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment