Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 45

You know, sometimes it's really easy to focus energy on wanting the things we don't have, rather than realizing the great things we already do have.

It was a particularly long day today.  Actually, I had planned it would be, so I wasn't really fretting about it.  However, with Max having been sick all weekend long, I was really worried about him.  I just wanted to get home to him, make sure he was snuggly in his pjs, and have a cuddle.  More than anything.

I was able to pick him up around 10pm, and was looking forward to just going straight home, but his uncle needed me to return some movies to the video store, mildly out of the way.  Though I wasn't excited about the detour, it wasn't a huge deal, so I obliged and headed to the store with Max in tow.

On the way to the car, he opened up his little hand, "Here, Mom.  Have a walnut."
"Oh, thanks, Bean.  But my stomach isn't feeling really well," I said. 
Max nodded and shoved the remaining walnuts into his mouth. "They're a good source of protein.  I'm gonna have strong muscles," he said while he chewed.
I smiled as we piled into the car and started talking about his day at school.

On the ride, we turned on the 24-hour Christmas music station, singing along and laughing.  It was cold outside, a perfect match to the winter spirit that was filling my car.  I pulled up to the video store, and unlatched my seat belt, when I heard Max unlatch his too.

"We can't rent a movie, Max.  I don't have an account here," I said.
"I know, Mom.  But aren't we returning the movies?"
"Yes.  But I'm not going inside the store.  Just dropping them off in the 24-hour drop box."
"I know."
"Okay," I laughed.  "You can just stay in the car."
"No, no.  I'm gonna take them.  When I'm with my dad I always do."
"You do?  Are you sure? I can do it."
"No, no."   He paused for a moment. "Besides, your tummy isn't feeling well.  You stay here, Mom.  I'll be right back."

I watched as he proudly walked to the door, went inside, and slipped the movies into the drop slot.

In that moment, I was overcome by how blessed I truly was.  There was no other motivation for his gesture, other than that he is a sweet, considerate, loving kid.  He wanted to help.  And he wanted to make sure his mom, who was dealing with some fierce indigestion, didn't have to get out of the car in the cold and hobble over to the drop slot.  (I also appreciated this fact because, well, sometimes stomach issues can bring forth some really...erm...uncomfortable situations in closed off video store entryways...)

I could feel tears welling up in my eyes a little.  I was really proud of Max...although, that's nothing new.  He's an amazing kid.  I think though, that like many people, there are times that I forget to remember things like that...because I get caught up in the areas of my life that I'm still working on.

We got home, and after I did my usual after-work routine of tidying up and changing into pjs, I tucked him in and read him "The Giving Tree", my voice trying to convey that, like the tree in that story, I would always be there...and I would always do whatever I could to support him and help him be happy.

Because his happiness is my happiness.   

He is my happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment