Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day 40

40 days of being 29.  If I were Noah...the rains would have stopped on this very day...sort of.  I mean, if it had started monsooning on my birthday.  And I were a man.  And I built an ark...which, due to my lack of carpentry skills, I'm sure wouldn't have lasted 20 minutes in a downpour anyways.  But I'm digressing.

Today I think I made a huge step in my improv training.  I had my Level 2 iO class this evening.  We were playing a scene and I was listening to my group going back and forth, when I got an idea that I felt would help move the scene along.

Now, typically I judge myself...questioning whether I'm making the right move, or following the rules, or whatever it might be.  And when I got the idea, that nasty little self-judging voice started in.  And in the blink of an eye I just said to myself, "No, Tiff.  Try it.  That's what class is for."

So, I followed my gut and made the move.  It was less successful on the execution than I had hoped, but successful enough in the fact that a lot of people got what I was doing.  It felt really good to hear my instructor guide us into making the idea work, and then explaining that I had done a really high form of "yes and."  It wasn't that what I did was brilliant...it was that I just let go of that tiny little judge in my head and tried something---with confidence.  And for me, that was a huge step.

I'm learnin'...I'm definitely learnin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment