Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 91

Played some Call of Duty at work today.  We haven't done that in a while.  It felt really good.  (Especially since I realized that I haven't lost my mediocre ability to shoot and hide since the last time I played in, oh, March 2009?)

After work, I headed off to iO for my intern shift.  Shakespeare was on it as usual.  Last term I worked downstairs in the Cabaret, so working upstairs in the Del Close Theater is a fun change of pace.

After my shift, I decided that even through my tiredness, I'd go up for the line games at the Jam.  It was a particularly rowdy crowd, but I carefully picked my moments, and managed to win a few of the audience members over.

I even heard, "Red!  You're the shit!  You hear that?  The redhead is the shit!"

Nothing that I did on stage was monumental.  I have an ability to create pretty good puns, because as a writer, it comes naturally.  I'm not sure I'm exactly proud of this ability.  (I was once informed that puns are considered the lowest form of comedy...)  But in those games, puns are good things.  And beyond that, selling whatever it is you're about to let spill from your lips with complete confidence is the most important part of the game. 

And hopefully, I did just that.

Afterward, two veteran improvisers whose work I really look up to and enjoy came up to me, separately.  One patted me on the shoulder and simply said, "Nice work tonight."  And the other gave me a high five and said, "You really won 'em over tonight.  I think you have a fan club now."

It was definitely a great moment for me on this improv journey I've been taking since January of 2009.  And it's an experience I'm going to keep in my back pocket to remind myself that with confidence, anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment