Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 82

A little note:
Rereading yesterday's post, I realize it might have come across as less general than it was intended.  I feel the need to explain: The "puppy" was representative of my usual patterns.  In all aspects.  The things I do when I know I should be trying something different...but it's so comfortable and seemingly safe, I end up deciding against scaring myself and stepping out into "something unknown" (also known as "the goldfish").


So, yeah.  In case it wasn't clear.  (Which, as I reread it, I realized it completely wasn't.)

Anyhow...

Today at work, a group of us donated our time at the Greater Chicago Food Depository.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but man, it was really, really awesome.  We repackaged milk and bread, and just had a great time.  It felt really good to help give back.  It actually made me want to do it more...thusly, I will be looking into more volunteer opportunities this year.





































I mean, I know sometimes I worry about things.  Little things.  Things that in the grand scheme of...erm...things...are piddly and insignificant.  And although I know that my problems and struggles are valid, I realize that they're really not all that bad for the most part.

Spending that time in the food bank reminded me of how blessed I am, not only to have food on the table, but to have such an amazing team of coworkers, to have the physical strength and capability to write out milk labels and sling heavy cases of milk onto pallets, to have a wonderful family, an amazing son, and old friends and new friends that completely rock my world.

So maybe I did go on a tangent about the Puppy and the Trashbin scenario.  And maybe it was a little premature.  But, I do sometimes feel that way.  The good thing is?  I realize that those moments are fleeting...and they're put in my path to learn from.  And I'll be damned if I don't remember that every single time I experience anything.  That I'm learning something.  I'm growing.

I once heard the story of the saying "This too shall pass" and it's stuck with me for years.

In short:  A king wanted someone to create for him a saying he could look to in good times and bad.  Something amazing, humbling, and inspiring.  Many tried, but nothing seemed to work for this king.  Then one day, a man came to him with a sign reading, "And this too shall pass."  The king looked puzzled, and asked the man how this phrase could possibly amaze, humble, and inspire him through all times.  The man said, "When times are bad, look to this sign to remember that eventually, things will get better.  When times are good, again, look to this sign to remember that in an instant everything can change so be grateful for this moment."

I don't know, I've always loved that saying ever since I heard that story.  Because it is, so true. 

So, regardless of how seemingly awesome or unawesome things might be...I guess I've learned I need to remember that this moment will eventually pass...

...and in its place, something else...another chance to grow and learn.  And I should remain grateful no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment